Isle of Jura Superstition

The Story
It was just a random weekday night out at a popular after work bar here in Singapore. I surveyed the scene (the whisky of course) and they seemed to have a decent selection with the usual Macallan, Lagavulin, Glenmorangie etc. A nice Lagavulin and decent conversation with some friends would have been a decent way to cap off the evening as I was not feeling too adventurous. I took a look at the menu. I took a look at the prices. Bloody hell! They were charging S$37 (US$24) for a glass of Lagavulin 16 year! Simply outrageous! I was going to give up and go for a beer something caught my eye. The Isle of Jura Superstition bottle has a distinctive symbol (someone who’s read Da Vinci Code countless times please tell me what it means) and it was calling out to me from the corner of the bar. I then remembered that Isle of Jura was the solitary distillery on the island and it had decent reviews. Price: A more reasonable S$16 (US$11). Yes, it was a sign…

The Whisky
Taken from the website (www.isleofjura.com):
The people of Jura are superstitious. From the prophecy of the one-eyed Campbell to an aversion to cutting peat before May, age-old island beliefs resonate to this day. Drawing on our finest older malts and spring-peated younger whiskies, Jura Superstition is a tribute to the people, the traditions and the mystical heritage that make Jura island life unique.


The Review

Comments: Lip and GH (budding whisky lover and superstar private banker) immediately noticed the smokey and toffee flavours in the nose. The phenols, nutty oak and malt kick in after some swirling in the mouth. One word: Good.

Lip: Why don't I remember this? Too much mem loss.

No comments: